Standard Veterans Exemption

The standard Veterans exemption allows for an exemption of $4,000 for qualifying claimants. A claim form must be properly completed and filed annually by February 15th with the Assessor.

Claims filed between February 10 - December 10 will receive a partial exemption for that year.

Qualifying claimants include, in addition to the veteran, parents and the unmarried surviving spouse of a deceased veteran.

The maximum value of property that can be owned to receive this exemption is $5,000 for an unmarried veteran or parent of a deceased veteran, or $10,000 for a married veteran, parents of a deceased veteran, or unmarried spouse of a deceased veteran.

This exemption may be claimed in addition to the Homeowners Exemption, but must be for a different property.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I file for both the Homeowners' Exemption and the Veteran's Exemption?

Yes, but they must be for different properties.

The assessor determined that the property was not eligible for the welfare or veterans' organization exemption, what is my recourse if I do not agree?

If the claimant disagrees with the assessor's determination of ineligibility for the welfare exemption, the claimant may seek a refund of property taxes paid by filing a claim for refund with the county board of supervisors. If the refund claim is denied, the organization may file a refund action in superior court.

How does a Disabled Veteran (or their eligible surviving spouse) apply for this exemption?

A Disabled Veteran's Exemption claim form must be filed with the Assessor's Office along with a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) (or from the military service which discharged the veteran) certifying that the veteran has a service-connected disability rating of 100% or is rated 100% because of unemployability.

If the letter from the USDVA does not state that the veteran was honorably discharged, then a copy of the veteran’s DD214 attesting to an honorable discharge must also be submitted. You may call, fax, or mail a request for the appropriate form, or pick up the claim forms in person at 800 South Victoria Avenue, Hall of Administration, Ventura, CA 93003-1270.​​​​​

Can the surviving spouse of a disabled Veteran benefit from this exemption?

Yes. An unmarried surviving spouse can qualify if:

  • The Disabled Veteran was eligible for the exemption during the veteran's lifetime
  • The Veteran dies as a result of a service-connected disease or disability while on active duty or after being honorably discharged.

If the surviving spouse is claiming the exemption for the first time, a Disabled Veteran’s exemption must be completed and submitted with a copy of the couple’s marriage certificate and evidence from the Veteran’s Administration that the veteran was 100% disabled due to a service-connected disease or disability or that the veteran died as a result of a service-connected disease or disability.

If the letter from the Veteran’s Administration does not give the date of death, a death certificate must also be submitted in order to allow the assessor to determine the effective date of the exemption.

If the disabled veteran had received the exemption during the veteran’s lifetime, the surviving spouse may continue to receive the exemption. The assessor may ask for a marriage certificate to ensure that the claimant is eligible. The exemption would terminate if the surviving spouse remarries.