Disabled Veterans Exemption

Veterans with a service-connected disability as certified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs may be eligible for certain tax exemptions.

This exemption applies to a principal residence. It is available to a veteran or the veteran's unmarried surviving spouse if the veteran, because of injury or disease incurred in military service, is blind in both eyes, has lost the use of two or more limbs, or is otherwise classified as totally disabled by the Veteran’s Administration. The exemption varies in size based upon your household income.

For the regular tax roll, a claim form must be properly completed and filed by February 15th with the Assessor. Claims filed after February 15th will receive a partial exemption for that year.

Claim forms must be accompanied by:

  • a letter from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (USDVA) or the claimants branch of service stating that their disability or unemployability is 100% service related
  • A copy of the claimants DD214 must also be attached to the claim if the letter from the USDVA does not state that the claimant was honorably discharged.

If you are the surviving spouse of a qualified veteran:

  • a marriage certificate, death certificate and letter from the USDVA or your spouse’s branch of service stating your spouse’s cause of death was 100% service related.
  • If the letter from the USDVA does not state that your spouse was honorably discharged, then a copy of your spouse’s DD214 attesting to an honorable discharge must also be submitted with the claim form.
Claims filed without the required documentation will delay processing of the claim until the required documentation is provided.

For supplemental assessments, the full exemption is available if the filing is made by the 30th day following the mailing of Notice of Supplemental Assessment. Claims filed after that date, but on or before the date on which the first supplemental tax installment is due, will receive a partial exemption. Only those receiving the $150,000+ exemption must file annually.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I file for both the Homeowners' Exemption and the Disabled Veteran's Exemption?

Yes, but they must be for different properties.

The assessor determined that the property was not eligible for the welfare or veterans' organization exemption, what is my recourse if I do not agree?

If the claimant disagrees with the assessor's determination of ineligibility for the welfare exemption, the claimant may seek a refund of property taxes paid by filing a claim for refund with the county board of supervisors. If the refund claim is denied, the organization may file a refund action in superior court.

How does a Disabled Veteran (or their eligible surviving spouse) apply for this exemption?

A Disabled Veteran's Exemption claim form must be filed with the Assessor's Office along with a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) (or from the military service which discharged the veteran) certifying that the veteran has a service-connected disability rating of 100% or is rated 100% because of unemployability.

If the letter from the USDVA does not state that the veteran was honorably discharged, then a copy of the veteran’s DD214 attesting to an honorable discharge must also be submitted. You may call, fax, or mail a request for the appropriate form, or pick up the claim forms in person at 800 South Victoria Avenue, Hall of Administration, Ventura, CA 93003-1270.​​​​​

Can the surviving spouse of a disabled Veteran benefit from this exemption?

Yes. An unmarried surviving spouse can qualify if:

  • The Disabled Veteran was eligible for the exemption during the veteran's lifetime
  • The Veteran dies as a result of a service-connected disease or disability while on active duty or after being honerably discharged.

If the surviving spouse is claiming the exemption for the first time, a Disabled Veteran’s exemption must be completed and submitted with a copy of the couple’s marriage certificate and evidence from the Veteran’s Administration that the veteran was 100% disabled due to a service-connected disease or disability or that the veteran died as a result of a service-connected disease or disability.

If the letter from the Veteran’s Administration does not give the date of death, a death certificate must also be submitted in order to allow the assessor to determine the effective date of the exemption.

If the disabled veteran had received the exemption during the veteran’s lifetime, the surviving spouse may continue to receive the exemption. The assessor may ask for a marriage certificate to ensure that the claimant is eligible. The exemption would terminate if the surviving spouse remarries.