New Homeowners

As a new homeowner, there are several items that are important to be aware of regarding property values, ownership, and taxes.

Annual Property Tax Bills

Annual tax bills are mailed once a year in mid October. If you do not receive a tax bill, you may request a substitute bill by calling the Treasurer-Tax Collector at (805) 654-3744 or visiting their website at Ventura County Property Tax Page.

Supplemental Property Taxes

In addition to annual taxes, you may be responsible for paying supplemental property taxes. Supplemental bills are based on the difference between the old assessed value and your new assessed value, which is generally your purchase price. (more info)

Homeowners' Exemption

If you own and occupy your home as your principal place of residence, you are eligible for a Homeowners’ Exemption, which reduces your property tax by about $70 annually. You will be sent an application about three to four months after your deed is recorded. (more info)

If you purchased a home or condominium in a new development

It is possible your property tax parcel number may not be created as of your purchase date or by the time the first annual taxes are due. If your property address is not yet on our records, you will need your legal description and Assessment Number in order to properly index your situation with the Assessor and Tax Collector. You can locate this on your deed or title report.

Assessor staff should then be able to tell you when your first annual bill will be assessed and what to expect. If you would like additional information regarding this subject, you may submit your question to our public service staff by using our Public Inquiry Form.

Remodeling your home

Most repair, replacement, and maintenance are normally not considered to be new construction under the law and are generally not subject to assessment. However, any new construction that rehabilitates a structure (or a portion of a structure) to the substantial equivalent of a new structure is subject to assessment for tax purposes, even if much of the construction includes repair and replacement. (more info)

Changing Your Address

Property valuation information and tax bills are mailed to the address contained in Assessor Department records. It is important that we have your current mailing address to avoid unnecessary delays in delivery. (more info)

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I qualify for the Homeowners' Exemption?

To obtain the exemption for a property, you must be its owner or co-owner (or a purchaser named in a contract of sale), and you must live in the property as your principal place of residence. You must also file the appropriate exemption claim form with the Assessor.

There are two, basic, alternative ways that persons qualify for this exemption:

  • Ownership & Occupancy on the Lien Date:
    The exemption is available to the eligible owner of a dwelling which is occupied as their principal place of residence at 12:01 a.m. on January 1 (the lien date) of each year, or
  • Ownership & Occupancy or Intent to Occupy within 90 days of a change in ownership or completion of new construction:
    The exemption is available to the eligible owner of a dwelling that is subject to a supplemental assessment resulting from a change in ownership or completion of new construction on or after January 1, provided that:
    • The owner occupies or intends to occupy the property as their principal place of residence within 90 days after the date of change in ownership or the date of completion of new construction. and
    • The property is not already receiving the homeowners' exemption or another exemption of greater value. If the property received an exemption of lesser value on the current assessment roll, the difference in amount between the two exemptions shall be applied to the supplemental assessment.
    • The claim is filed by 5 p.m. on or before the 30th day following the date printed on the "Notice of Supplemental Assessment" issued for the change in ownership or new construction.

Under the second alternative, whatever exemption is granted will be applied to the supplemental assessment or assessments, if any, and the full exemption will take effect during the next fiscal year, provided the claim is timely filed (i.e., within 30 days of the date of Notice of Supplemental Assessment).

If you do not own the property, you should not file a Homeowners' Exemption claim. If you do not occupy, or intend to occupy property you own, you should not file a Homeowners' Exemption claim.