Annual Property Tax Bills

Annual tax bills are mailed once a year in mid October. The first installment is delinquent if payment is not received on or postmarked by December 10, the second installment is delinquent if payment is not received on or postmarked by April 10. If you do not receive a tax bill, you may request a substitute bill by calling the Treasurer-Tax Collector at (805) 654-3744 or visiting their website at Ventura County Property Tax Page. You will need your Assessment Number or property address to use this feature.

Even though known taxes are prorated between the buyer and seller during escrow, all annual property taxes may not have been paid to the Tax Collector at that time. By calling the Tax Collector you can determine if any taxes are due and obtain a duplicate tax bill. State law makes it your responsibility to pay the taxes whether or not you receive a tax bill.

Supplemental Property Taxes

In addition to annual taxes, you may be responsible for paying supplemental property taxes. Supplemental bills are based on the difference between the old assessed value and your new assessed value, which is generally your purchase price. The amount is prorated based on the number of months left in the fiscal year from the date you purchased your home. If the property is reassessed at a lower value, you will receive a refund.

Supplemental tax bills are your responsibility and will be mailed directly to you by the Treasurer-Tax Collector’s Office. These bills are not generally paid by impound accounts.

Homeowners' Exemption

If you own and occupy your home as your principal place of residence, you are eligible for a Homeowners’ Exemption, which reduces your property tax by about $70 annually. You will be sent an application about three to four months after your deed is recorded.

From time to time homeowners may receive solicitations from private businesses and individuals offering property tax assistance or services for a fee. While property owners are certainly at liberty to use these private companies, you can apply for most of these services themselves at absolutely no cost simply by writing a letter or otherwise contacting the Assessor’s Office.

The Assessor’s office provides most services without a fee. Some examples are requests for Homeowner’s Exemptions and Decline in Value (R&T Sec. 51) Reviews. Click here for more information about this subject. If you have additional questions, please contact the Assessor’s office directly at (805) 654-2181.

The Assessor’s Office of Ventura County is committed to providing the best service possible to the property owners of Ventura County. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call our staff at 805-654-2181.

If you purchased a home or condominium in a new development:

It is possible your property tax parcel number may not be created as of your purchase date or by the time the first annual taxes are due. If your property address is not yet on our records, you will need your legal description and Assessment Number in order to properly index your situation with the Assessor and Tax Collector. You can locate this on your deed or title report. Assessor staff should then be able to tell you when your first annual bill will be assessed and what to expect.

If you would like additional information regarding this subject, you may submit your question to our public service staff by using our Public Inquiry Form.

If you remodel your home

Most repair, replacement, and maintenance are normally not considered to be new construction under the law and are generally not subject to assessment. However, any new construction that rehabilitates a structure (or a portion of a structure) to the substantial equivalent of a new structure is subject to assessment for tax purposes, even if much of the construction includes repair and replacement. New construction that changes the manner in which a property is used is also subject to assessment (for example: a residence converted to a multi-unit apartment.) For further information, go to our Frequently Asked Questions about Remodeling.

Changing Your Address

Property valuation information and tax bills are mailed to the address contained in Assessor Department records. It is important that we have your current mailing address to avoid unnecessary delays in delivery. It is the owner’s responsibility to advise the Assessor when the mailing address has changed. Please use our Change of Address form to report a change. If you have any questions regarding your mailing address, please call (805) 654-2181.