Don't Pay For A Free Service

It has come to Assessor Dan Goodwin's attention that property owners in Ventura County are receiving cleverly worded solicitations from private companies offering to provide services, for a fee, that the Ventura County Assessor provides free of charge. Particularly disturbing to the Assessor is the number of property-savvy individuals who have misunderstood the unofficial status of these solicitors. "I am always concerned when private companies use questionable tactics to obtain fees from unsuspecting property owners," Assessor Goodwin explained.

These solicitations are coming under a variety of business names, most claiming to act as a homeowner's agent to guarantee a lower property tax bill. They claim to guarantee an assessment reduction (with the caveat they will refund the service fee if they cannot do so) and imply specialized knowledge of required regulations.

These companies are not affiliated with any governmental agencies, and homeowners do not need to be represented by them. Be aware that solicitations from private companies offering to pursue a reduction in property taxes must clearly indicate they are NOT a government agency and their services are NOT approved or endorsed by any government agency.

Per Assessor Goodwin, "You can work directly with the Assessor's Office, at no charge, and request an assessment review. The Assessor's staff recently reviewed the assessments of more than 50,000 residential properties. If you disagree with or have questions about your assessed value, you may contact the Assessor's Office to discuss you assessment at no cost"

You may contact the Assessor's Office by:

Phone at (805) 654-2181

Fax at (805) 645-1305

Mail at
Ventura County Assessor
800 South Victoria Avenue
Ventura, CA 93009-1270

Or by email

If you still do not agree with the assessed value of your property, you have the right to file an Assessment Appeal Application. The application is available, at no charge, from the Clerk of the Assessment Appeals Board located at the Government Center, or by phone at (805) 654-2251, or from their website. You have between July 2 and September 30 to file the Assessment Appeal Application form.