Throughout the year there are several dates that are important to keep in mind. Below are listed several due dates pertaining to the submission of forms, payment of fees, etc.
- Taxes become a lien on all taxable property at 12:01 a.m.
- First day to file an "Informal Request for Decline in Value Reassessment" form.
- First day to file affidavit and claim for exemption with assessor, but on or before 5:00 p.m. on February 15th.
- Annual secured property tax bill that is issued in the fall is based on ownership and value as of this date.
- Property splits and combinations recorded after this date will not appear on the fall tax bill.
- Second installment of secured real estate taxes is due (Delinquent after 5:00 p.m. on April 10).
- Report to assessor information regarding ownership interests if manufactured home park does not use deeds to transfer ownership.
- Deadline for filing timely claims for exemptions to receive the full exemption - Homeowner's, Church, Religious, Welfare, Museum, Cemetery, Historical Aircraft, Veteran's, and Blind or Disabled Veteran's (late after 5:00 p.m. - a postmark before midnight is considered timely)
- Last day to file affidavit for classification of documented vessel.
- Last day to file for the Homeowners' Exemption claim to receive the maximum exemption ($7,000 of assessed value). (Late after 5:00 p.m. - a postmark before midnight is considered timely) .
- Due date for filing annual Business Property 571 Land Vessel Property Statements
- Last Day to pay Second Installment of Real Estate Taxes. (Becomes delinquent after 5:00 p.m. - a postmark before midnight is considered timely).
- Annual Payment on the Installment Plan of Redemption is due.
- Last Day to file Annual Business Property 571L and Vessel Property Statement before a 10% penalty is added.
- May 15 - December 10: Period for filing affidavit and claim for property tax postponement with State Controller.
- Last day to file an amended business property statement to correct errors or omissions on a timely filed statement.
- Mailing of delinquent tax bills for current year and supplementals.
- Last day of the property tax year (Fiscal Year).
- Delinquent property becomes Tax Defaulted for nonpayment of taxes and is subject to the power of sale five (5) years hence if delinquent taxes are not fully paid. Last day (prior to 5:00 p.m.) to open an installment plan of redemption on those parcels in their fifth year of delinquency.
- First day of the property tax year (Fiscal Year) .
- On or before, Assessor delivers Property Tax Roll to Auditor-Controller.
- Business personal property taxes due (Unsecured Property Taxes).
- Last day to file late affidavit and claim for documented vessel assessment.
- Last day to provide property owners with notice of assessed value for September 15 assessment appeal deadline.
- Last day to pay Business Personal Property Tax Bill before penalties are added.
- Last day to inform State Board of Equalization of the total assessed value of property receiving homeowners' exemption.
- Last day to file assessment appeals application for reduction of assessment for the current tax year in Ventura County. The assessment appeals regular filing period is July 2 through September 15. However, when September 15 falls on Saturday, Sunday, or a legal holiday, an application that either is hand delivered or mailed and postmarked on the next business day shall be deemed to have been filed within the requisite time period. Therefore, the Clerk of the Assessment Appeals Board will accept appeal applications that are hand delivered, by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, September 16, 2013, or are mailed and postmarked no later than Monday, September 16, 2013.
- Beginning day of annual secured tax bill mailing (by Treasure and Tax Collector).
- Last day affidavit and claim for homeowner or renters assistance may be filed (late after 5:00 p.m.) with the State Franchise Tax Board.
- Last day of annual secured tax bill mailing (by Treasure and Tax Collector).
- The first installment of secured real estate taxes is due (Delinquent after 5:00 p.m. on Dec. 10th).
- First installment of real estate taxes becomes delinquent after 5:00 p.m. (a postmark before midnight is considered timely.
- Last day to file late Homeowners' Exemption to receive 80% of the exemption.
- Last day to file late Veterans' Exemption to receive 80% of the exemption.
- Last day to file late Disabled Veterans' Exemption to receive 90% of the exemption.
- Last day to terminate Homeowners', Veterans', and Disabled Veterans' exemptions.
- Last day to file for postponement of taxes with State Controller.
NOTE: The property tax year (fiscal year) runs from July 1 to June 30. Property is taxed as of January 1 for payment in the following fiscal year.